Subaru Telescope will resume open-use observations on May 18, 2020 (HST). Operations will be conducted for the time being in accordance with the observatory's "Coronavirus Infection (COVID-19) Countermeasure Guideline" including the following basic policies.
- Prevention of infection to employees, families and neighbors is the first priority.
- Comply with the instructions of the State of Hawaii, County of Hawaii, CDC, Hawaii Health Department, OSHA, and other authorities.
- In resuming observations, we will pay attention to the coordination with Maunakea Observatories.
- Operations at the base and summit facilities will be resumed in stages, with an emphasis on maintaining a social distance (6 feet or more).
- Group work that involves more than 10 people in the entire place of business shall not occur.
- In principle, work at home will be continued that has not been a problem in the past.
Dr. Michitoshi Yoshida
Director, Subaru Telescope
National Astronomical Observatory of Japan