Subaru Telescope will begin preparatory work for on-sky operations of the telescope on May 11, 2020 (HST) as the State of Hawaii allowed astronomical observatories to resume operations.
Work will begin in accordance with state guidelines for the prevention of the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) and the following policies established by the observatory.
- For the observatory's staff:
- Working at home in principle.
- No business trip.
- The work at the summit facility is minimized for the resumption of observations.
- For the public:
- Any visitors are not accepted at the summit and Hilo base facility.
- All facility tours are suspended.
Dr. Michitoshi Yoshida
Director, Subaru Telescope
National Astronomical Observatory of Japan