Minimum $2,894 a month
Number of hires for this role
Full Job Description
SUMMIT MECHANICAL/TELESCOPE TECHNICIAN I – ID# 221141.
National Astronomical Observatory of Japan. (2) Regular, Full-Time, RCUH Non-Civil Service position with the Subaru Telescope, National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ), located on Maunakea summit and in Hilo, Hawai‘i. Continuation of employment is dependent upon program/operational needs, satisfactory work performance, availability of funds, and compliance with applicable Federal/State laws.
MINIMUM MONTHLY SALARY: $2,894/Mon.
- Works as the Summit Mechanical/Telescope Technicians (day crews) in the Telescope Operation and Technical Maintenance Division to carry out:
- (1) Mechanical tasks for the observation and its support system including the enclosure, the telescope, equipment and facilities at the summit of Maunakea or at the Hilo facility. The tasks include daily safety and functional checks of the structural, mechanical, electromechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic components of the enclosure, the telescope, equipment and facilities to make them ready for observation every night and their installation, regular maintenance, tuning and repair.
- (2) Technical tasks for the observation system including but not limited to the telescope, the instrument exchange systems and instruments; The tasks include maintenances of instrument exchange systems (e.g. Top Unit Exchanger, Cassegrain Instrument Automatic Exchanger equipment), instrument exchanges, pre-checks of the telescope, instruments, and associated systems to ensure they are operational for the observation at night, minor repairs and general preventive and corrective maintenance of the telescope and instruments, including cleaning and re-coating of large optics.
- Performs special technical support tasks at the summit and Hilo office as assigned, including to lead major maintenance, repair and upgrade of the telescope, observing instruments, facility, facility equipment or computers.
- Provides support and maintenance work at the summit or Hilo office as assigned.
- Works on special maintenance such as snow and ice removal.
- Majority of the work is at the telescope site at Maunakea, with work in Hilo as needed.
- Work shift is primarily ten (10) hours a day, four (4) days a week.
- Weekend standby, emergency work, snow removal, and planned overtime work may occur.
- The work schedule may change on a daily basis depending on operational needs.
- This is a progression job requiring new hires to be placed in Level I and through experience, demonstrated competence, and operational needs, may be promoted to Level II, and Level III.
- Associate’s Degree from an accredited community college or graduation from an accredited trade apprenticeship program.
- (High School Diploma or G.E.D equivalent and at least three (3) years of related experience necessary to perform this job’s duties or equivalent work environment may substitute for an Associate’s Degree or trade apprenticeship training program).
- Two to four (2-4) years of experience involving mechanical installation, machine tools, electronics work, instrumentation, computer controls, operation of heavy machinery, or telescopes systems/operations.
- Knowledge of personal computer (PC) use and its basic office software for communication and basic logging.
- Basic knowledge of maintenance and electrical procedures.
- Ability to cooperate with other team members and manage existing equipment and devices.
- Ability to follow instruction, supervision or guidance from other technicians.
- Ability to find, read and follow manuals/documents.
- Skills in hands-on preventive maintenance and equipment repair.
- Ability to use hand and power tools, such as electrical drills, band saws, and drill press, safely.
- Ability to use visual skills and depth perception to perform inspection of equipment placement. Must have aptitude for learning new skills.
- Must have high aptitude for learning to operate and troubleshoot new hardware or Graphic User Interface commanding an occasional technical training or retraining.
- High awareness and rigorous practices of safety is of utmost importance.
- Some job duties require work high off the ground using Personal Protective Equipment.
- Requires handling of complex machines and equipment and full understanding and adherence to safety rules and procedures.
- Must take corrective action immediately against what might threaten safety of self or others.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license (and if use of personal vehicle on the job is required, must also have valid personal driver’s insurance equivalent to Hawai‘i’s No-Fault Driver’s Insurance) and maintain throughout the duration of employment. Must be able to drive a 4-wheel drive vehicle with manual transmission.
- Must be able to operate a 4x4 vehicle safely with passengers.
- Post Offer/Employment Condition: Must possess Emergency Medical Responder Certification (or be able to obtain the certificate following the training provided within twelve (12) months from date of hire) and maintain throughout duration of employment. Must be able to obtain crane operator certification within one (1) year from date of hire and maintain throughout duration of employment. Must be able to obtain forklift operator certification within one (1) year from date of hire and maintain throughout duration of employment. Must complete the online Hazard Communication training immediately after hire or no later than employee’s initial exposure to hazardous chemicals.
- Must be able to work at the summit effectively for up to fourteen (14) hours.
- Able to climb ladders and work at high places with a safety harness, including a rooftop as high as 141 feet above the ground.
- Able to lift and carry up to (fifty) 50 pounds of equipment unassisted.
- Must be able to maintain a safe work environment at the altitude.
- Must be able to continuously demonstrate an ability to work safely in a physically demanding work environment (e.g., extreme temperatures and atmospheric conditions associated with high altitude (14,000+ feet above sea level) conditions. Must not have acrophobia (fear of heights).
- Post Offer/Employment Condition: Must be able to work at 14,000 feet and pass a post offer high-altitude medical examination.
- Ability to comprehend, speak or understand Japanese.
- Possession of certifications in electrical, Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) or welding.
- Basic computer skills in operating UNIX or Linux workstation.
- Ability to read and follow blueprints and electrical schematics.
INQUIRIES: Masayo Nakajima 934-5058 (Hawai‘i).
Please apply directly on the RCUH website to be considered for the position.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: Please go to www.rcuh.com and click on “Job Postings.” You must submit the following documents online to be considered for the position: 1) Cover Letter, 2) Resume, 3) Supervisory References, 4) Copy of Degree(s)/Transcript(s)/Certificate(s). All online applications must be submitted/received by the closing date (11:59 P.M. Hawai‘i Standard Time/RCUH receipt time) as stated on the job posting. If you do not have access to our system and the closing date is imminent, you may send additional documents to rcuh _ employment @ rcuh . com. If you have questions on the application process and/or need assistance, please call (808)956-7262 or (808)956-0872.
CLOSING DATE: May 19, 2021.
RCUH’s mission is to support and enhance research, development and training in Hawai‘i, with a focus on the University of Hawai‘i.
Equal Opportunities Employer – Minorities/Women/Disability/Veteran.
- One location
POLICY AND/OR REGULATORY REQUIREMENTS: As a condition of employment, employee will be subject to all applicable RCUH policies and procedures and, as applicable, subject to University of Hawai‘i's and/or business entity's policies and procedures. Violation of RCUH's, UH's, or business entity's policies and/or procedures or applicable State or Federal laws and/or regulations may lead to disciplinary action (including, but not limited to possible termination of employment, personal fines, civil and/or criminal penalties, etc.).