Laser Use at Subaru Telescope
In accordance to the Subaru Telescope Safety Policy, Principal Investigator of any project and any Subaru personnel who will be using a Laser inside Subaru Telescope facilities (Hilo Laboratory or in Subaru Telescope at MaunaKea), are required to read and follow the procedure related to the Laser Class used and described in the: Subaru Laser Safety Policy.
This safety policy applies to all lasers and laser systems operated by Subaru Telescope. This program maintains compliance with ANSI Z136.1-2007 American National Standard for Safe Use of Lasers (with the exception of baseline eye exams).
The proper execution of this policy will permit the laser use approval from the Laser Safety officer and will assure that laser exposures are always below the maximum permissible exposure (MPE) limits.
The Laser Safety Officer has the authority to terminate laser operations at any time if the Subaru Laser Safety Policy is not respected.
To receive your laser use approval from the Subaru Laser safety Officer:
- Read carefully the Subaru Laser Safety Policy.
- Define the class of your laser (cf. Subaru Laser Safety Policy §3).
- If your laser is:
You are exempt from the requirements of the laser Safety Program.
Just follow the Laser Hazard Control Measures for class 1 lasers, described in the Subaru Laser Safety Policy §6.
Class 2 or Class 3A/3R:
The personnel using the laser should contact the Subaru Laser Officer to receive a short laser safety briefing.
You are also required to follow the '''Laser Hazard Control Measures for class 2 or 3A/3R lasers, described in : Subaru Laser Safety Policy §6.
Please, sign the Laser User Waiver and send it to Subaru Laser Safety officer (email@example.com) if you are not a Subaru Telescope or NAOJ employee.
Class 3B or Class 4:
These lasers are extremely hazardous and require the maximum of attention. Class 3B and 4 lasers can only be operated with the written approval of the Subaru Laser Officer.
To obtain the LSO approval for class 3B and 4 lasers use:
- Fill-in the Laser Use Authorization (LUA) application form: Laser Use Authorization (LUA).
- All personnel using the laser must fill-in an individual Laser User Registration Form and complete a Laser Safety Training (proof of past training accepted if not trained, please contact immediately the Subaru Laser safety officer).
- Fill-in the Laser Equipment Registration Form
- Write a Standard Operating Procedure (see Subaru Laser Safety Policy §5). An example of OP is available here.
- Follow the Laser Hazard Control Measures for class 3B or 4 lasers, described in : Subaru Laser Safety Policy §6.
- Sign the Laser User Waiver if you are not a Subaru Telescope or NAOJ employee.
- Send all documents to the Subaru Laser safety officer (firstname.lastname@example.org) for review and to receive the final use approval.
For any questions or remarks,
please contact the Subaru Telescope Laser Safety Manager / Officer
Thank you for your collaboration.